WESTLAKE, Ohio– The Westlake Fire Department has determined the cause of a methane gas leak at Barrington Place Apartments on Detroit Road.
“It’s a naturally occurring source from a shale bed,” said Westlake Fire Chief Jim Hughes.
The chief told FOX 8’s Lorrie Taylor a gas mitigation system was not working properly and was in need of repair.
Residents from half a dozen units within one building had to be evacuated Wednesday.
All buildings within the complex were monitored for gas levels and found to be safe.
A leasing agent from Barrington Place said displaced residents were being housed at a nearby hotel.
Chief Hughes said they should be able to return to their apartments within a few days assuming the repair of the gas mitigation system is an easy one.
Barrington Place Apartments